Sunday, May 25, 2014

NGSS standard: BIOMIMICRY

I am teaching the Grade 1 NGSS biomimicry standard this week & I can't wait to see what my students come up with when we do the Mystery Box challenge!

This is my FAVORITE first grade NGSS standard – biomimicry: using nature to inspire design. Nature has perfected so many things- want to walk up a wall? Mimic gecko feet. Swim faster? Mimic shark skin. Assess damage after an earthquake? Send in tiny drones that mimic one of the most efficient flyers – dragonflies! Invention inspired by nature – the possibilities are endless! I created this packet to help my students start to look at nature in a different way – using its perfection in design to solve human problems. That’s what biomimicry is and that’s what NGSS:1-LS1-1 standard is all about. This is a really creative standard and I LOVE encouraging kids to be creative in their scientific thinking. Our nation’s future scientists and engineers are sitting in our classrooms – let’s encourage, challenge, and empower them!! 




The whole lesson can be found on TpT. If you would like me to send you a copy for free, just leave me your email below. I'll send it out to two random winners! Happy Memorial Day weekend!


12 comments :

  1. I would love to do this during summer school- this would be a great addition to our curriculum! -Maria
    everyonedeservestolearn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love it! So cool!
    ~Heather
    Themeekmoose@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I'd love a copy!
    -Andrea
    alwayskindergarten@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! A book I use in my Christian school for this is called God Thought of It First.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so amazing lbctiggerlilly41@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You're amazing! Great job addressing this standard! adamsrh4@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you already sent them out to the lucky winners? If not, I want to put my name in the hat. :) I love your stuff! My e-mail is: theteachergarden (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love a copy for my firsties. My email is rheinric@wausauschools.org. Thanks for sharing! Don't you love teaching science?

    Renee at The Science School Yard

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sent out to the first two, thank you so much to all who commented!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the lesson on biomimicry. Are you having a sale anytime soon at TPT?

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover