Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Blubber Glove

 I asked my kindergarteners if they liked being in the ocean when it's really cold - they all answered a resounding NO! So then I asked them - what do you think it feels like to be a beluga or a polar bear? A mammal that swims in the freezing cold Arctic Ocean? How can they possibly keep warm? Blubber!
Here's the blubber glove we made out of Crisco vegetable shortening:

We put our hands in ice water with & without the blubber glove - everyone was amazed to feel the difference! Our hands were so much warmer in the blubber glove! We looked at some slides I made up of mammals with blubber:
Next week we'll continue with our blubber lessons & learn all about whales. We'll be making this cute little whale out of a Dixie cup:

I just put the whole lesson up on TpT.  I'll send it to the first 2 names below, just leave me your email!

11 comments :

  1. Cute experiment! We are getting ready to talk about habitats so I'd love to try this.
    marcy.fambro@gmail.com

    Marcy
    Saddle Up For 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this activity. I know that 1st graders would learn a lot from this experiment!

    Teresa
    tmburgess@roaneschools.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our next unit is on animals so this would be a great activity to add in!
    Pat
    patwhiteland@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the idea of making a "blubber glove." A fun way for kiddos to experiment without all the mess!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this activity!!!! I have done this with second graders as a science fair experiment. We add an egg to show how the blubber will also protect bones and organs. We drop an egg in a plain bag and in a "lard" bag and the empty bag egg will break and the blubber bag egg doesn't

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this activity! I know that students of all ages could really benefit from such a unique experiment. I am going to be a student teacher in the fall and I will definitely keep this one in mind! I know that the kids would really remember this one! I have a feeling that I will be referring to you blog often. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such A Cute Idea!
    mssafaris2ndgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a cool idea! It is great to see so many FUN science experiments on your blog! Students learn best from experiments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great experiment! It is AWESOME to see so many different and fun experiments that most students will enjoy! Thank you for sharing so many wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love your bog! You are so creative and I will definitely be referring to your blog a lot because you have so many great ideas. I am currently a student at SMSU and will be student teaching the following year. I love how the lessons are very hands on and provide inquiry for the students. Do you have any ideas for tweaking some of these lessons for upper elementary? Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Every lesson can be tweaked for upper elementary. Thanks so much for your kinds words & best of luck to you w/your student teaching!!!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover