Saturday, December 14, 2013

Holiday Lights Chromatography

My 7th and 4th graders worked together on a fun holiday science experiment last week - holiday lights chromatography! Using the chromatography lab technique, we created Christmas, Hanukah, and Kwanzaa lights:
Markers are mixtures of many different dyes that can be separated using water and filter paper. Chromatography is a lab technique used to separate mixtures - when you use markers, the results are beautiful! We especially liked the black marker - it showed the best separation and revealed at least 5 different colored dyes. Before I became a science teacher, I was a biochemist at a pharmaceutical company. I told my students how I used to use thin layer chromatography to separate protein mixtures. Even though we were using markers - they were still so excited about using a technique that scientists really use in labs! I love their enthusiasm!



Wishing you a blessed holiday season!

4 comments :

  1. Well...I'm excited with the kids. I think this sounds amazing. You are a wealth of information and I wish you worked at my school.
    With thanks
    Julie :-)
    Mrs Stowe's Kinder Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome experiment. I remember doing something like this a few years ago. I'll have to try again. I wish you were at my school, too!! It would be so cool to have a "real" scientist.
    Take care and Happy New Year!

    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, you're so sweet!! Wishing you a very happy New Year!!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover